Monday, December 9, 2013

Things that go through a mother's mind but not across her lips

Don't turn away from me.
Don't stomp your foot.
Don't make a fist at me.
Don't be angry.
Don't wake up happy then turn suddenly sad.
Don't stare me down while I'm staring you down.
Don't ignore me.
Don't tell me no.
Don't make me ask you more than once.
Don't make me feel terrible about it.
Don't make me be a reflection of my own mother.
Don't make me problem solve, strategize, behavior manage.
Don't make me second guess myself.
Don't make me worry about you so much.
Don't question me every time I ask you to do something.
Don't make the same facial expression at me that I make at you.
(You are only four years old!  You should not be able to make adult faces yet.)

Well, I think that just about covers the job description for motherhood.
Breathe.  Sigh.  Cry a little.  Laugh.  Smile.  Carry on.


Lamentations, J. Tackett




No comments:

Post a Comment