Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Illuminate                   

I open my eyes to her.
I see what she needs.
I make a plan and follow the steps.

She says, "I love you".
 
I hold tight to what's best for her.
I swallow my need to please.
I don't over do it.

She says, "You're proud of me aren't you mom".

It's a statement, not a question.  She knows the answer.
I watch her self-smile in the rear view mirror.
I stay quiet and let her enjoy her triumph.


J. Tackett (daily prompt by Habit of Being)


3 comments:

  1. Yes-- love the illuminating moments we receive in parenting, often when we choose quiet and observation over saying or doing the next thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yes, i cannot even begin to count the way the illumination i've received as a parent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How can such little beings be such wise teachers :) If we listen.

    ReplyDelete